It isn’t easy cooking three times a day, every day, and it’s common to get fed up with cooking at any age, especially after many decades of doing it.
For some seniors, life gets busy, and there isn’t time to cook. For others, the challenge of downsizing family-size recipes to feed two or one doesn’t seem worth the trouble.
As a result, all too often, seniors miss out on the nutritional benefits of a well-balanced diet along with the fun of eating colorful, tasty food.
But cooking doesn’t have to mean drudgery. These days, more recipes than ever are simple, quick, and tasty, too.
- One-Pot Vegetarian Spaghetti: If the prospect of washing more than one pot is too much, this is the recipe for you.
- Chicken Spinach Mushroom Flatbread: Everyone loves pizza, and this simple, upscale take on it is perfect for either lunch or dinner.
- Turkey Meatloaf: Stir up this recipe, stick it in the oven, and put your feet up while dinner bakes.
- Easy Lemon Garlic Tilapia: Here is a great pescatarian option for lunch or dinner.
- Twice-Baked Potato Casserole: This recipe is great in part because it’s flexible. If you don’t have bacon or prefer not to use it, substitute whatever bits of leftover protein you have on hand.
- Homemade Creamy Vegetable Soup: Despite its smooth texture, no actual cream is involved in this luscious vegetarian dish.
- Chocolate, Banana, and Peanut Butter Protein Shake: When you don’t feel like eating breakfast or need to get in some extra calories, try this quick shake to keep you going until your next meal.
- Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes: It can be tricky to make mashed potatoes for just one or two people, but this is a great way to use up the leftovers.
- Vegetable Omelet: There’s an art to the perfect omelet and infinite flexibility to what you put in them.
- Flavorful Side Salad: You can use this tasty salad as a side dish or bump it up to meal status by adding extra protein.
- Broccoli Salad: Do you like your broccoli crunchy or soft? You can have it either way with this tasty broccoli salad.
- No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake: You don’t even need to turn on the oven to make this delectable cheesecake.
- Make-Ahead Freezer Oatmeal Cups: Oatmeal isn’t just for breakfast. You can pre-make and freeze these individual servings and have a tasty bite anytime you please.
- Honey Lime Fruit Salad: Colorful and tempting, this makes a great gluten-free dessert option.
- Spicy, Smoky, Sweet Chili: Freeze this recipe in individual portions and enjoy a pre-made meal whenever you need one.
- Super-Easy Mini Vegetable Lasagna Cups: You don’t have to make a whole big pan of lasagna to enjoy this delicious dish, and it’s easy to save some in the fridge for later.
- Farmers’ Market Salsa: Going to the farmers’ market is a great way to get out and get some fresh air, and this recipe can help you use up some of what you find.
- Veggie and Hummus Sandwiches: These sandwiches make a great vegan lunch.
- Whole Stuffed Bell Peppers: Easy and comforting, this recipe is an exotic twist on a familiar favorite.
- Simple Homemade Tomato Soup: Canned soups often contain lots of sodium. With this recipe, you can control your salt levels and still have a delicious lunch.
- Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls: Add a little spice to your life with this delicious, vegetarian option.
- Stir Fry Vegetables With Chicken, Beef, or Tofu: Adaptable for vegans, vegetarians, and meat-eaters. This recipe will meet your needs for a quick, nutritious meal.
- Zucchini Meatballs: You’ll never miss the meat in these vegetarian delights.
- The Ultimate Guide to Great-Tasting Pureed Meals for the Elderly: Dysphagia afflicts many seniors, but pureed food doesn’t have to be unappealing. In fact, it shouldn’t be. Here, you can find recipes that taste not only good but also look good.
- Chicken Divan: Few things say “comfort food” like chicken smothered in a cheesy, creamy sauce.
- Turmeric-Ginger Marinated Chicken: Most of the cooking for this recipe is hands-off. All you have to do is make a marinade for the chicken, leave it in the fridge for a few hours, and grill or bake it.