Choice Mutual's ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account consumer experience, financial strength ratings and complaint data.
American Amicable burial life insurance is affordable, and most seniors (even if they aren’t in the best of health) will qualify.
Learn how their coverage works, the cost, pros & cons, and why they made the list of the 12 best burial insurance companies.
You don’t have to take a medical exam; you only need to answer some health questions.
In addition to the health questions, they will also review your prior medications because that gives them a clear picture of your overall health.
American Amicable will disburse the death benefit funds directly to your family or funeral home when you die.
Your loved ones will receive a tax-free cash payment that they can spend on anything (no restrictions).
And any leftover money is theirs to keep.
American Amicable burial insurance plans have three different health ratings that you could qualify for:
- Immediate: This is their cheapest option and has no waiting period. To qualify, you must be able to respond with a no answer to all the health questions (other than the tobacco question).
- Graded: This option is more expensive than the immediate plan and has a partial waiting period. If you die in the first 12 months, they will pay out 30% of the death benefit. They will pay out 70% for death during months 13-24. After two years, the full amount is payable for any reason. The graded plan will be offered if you have any of the health conditions mentioned in question eight in the application.
- ROP: The ROP stands for “Return of Premium” because it has a two-year waiting period. Death during the first two years will result in a refund of your payments plus 10% interest. Additionally, it’s much more expensive than the immediate plan. The ROP plan will be offered if you have any health conditions mentioned in questions 4-7.
American Amicable only sells its products through licensed agencies. They do not have a direct in-house sales team.
|Policy Type||Whole Life Insurance|
|Builds Cash Value||Yes|
|State Availability||All states except New York|
|New Applicant Age Range||50-85|
|Minimum Coverage Amount||$2,500|
|Maximum Options||50-75: $50k
|Free Built In Riders||Terminal illness|
|Optional Riders||Accidental Death (2X the payout for accidental death), Children's Coverage, Grandchildren Coverage, & Nursing Home Premium Waiver||None|
|Where to Apply||Agencies licensed to sell American Amicable Life products (you can't buy this plan directly from them)|
|Phone Number to Apply||1-800-644-2926|
|Medical Exam Required||No|
|2-Year Waiting Period||No|
(subject to underwriting approval)
|1st Year: 30% payout|
2nd Year: 70% payout
|Application Approval Time||15 Minutes|
|Brochure||American Amicable Final Expense Brochure|
|Sample Application||American Amicable Final Expense Application|
The cost of funeral insurance is determined by your gender, age, health, state of residence, tobacco habits (if any), and the amount of coverage you purchase.
The table below has some sample burial life insurance quotes for American Amicable.
The prices shown are monthly premiums for $10,000 in coverage.
- No waiting period option
- Partial coverage option for people in bad health
- No medical exam to qualify (only a health questionnaire)
- Available in most states
- Often the lowest price for smokers
- Occasional cigar users can qualify for non-tobacco rates
- Very underwriting of complex medications that other companies often reject
- Seniors up to age 75 can buy up to $50,000 in coverage which is higher than most providers
- Underwriting is built to accept applicants with conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, and many other common ailments
- Vast rider selection
- Quick approvals (typically 10 minutes or less)
- Lifetime coverage
- Premiums will never increase
- Other burial insurance companies offer lower prices
- The modified plan is very expensive
- No guaranteed acceptance option
- Three-year lookback on strokes and cardiac events (most companies look back only two years)
American Amicable offers a competitively priced funeral insurance policy.
However, some companies offer lower rates.
But if you do choose to buy their coverage, you can feel confident that you have a well-priced policy backed by a financially sound insurance company.
If you smoke cigarettes, they are likely going to be your lowest-cost option.
Also, they would be an excellent choice if you smoke cigars occasionally since they’ll give you a non-tobacco price.
Their graded and ROP plans are generally not worth it due to the cost.
Below is a table that outlines all the health issues where they’ll still approve you for a no-waiting period policy.
Common conditions still eligible for no waiting period coverage:
Aneurysm > 3 years ago
Cancer > 3 years ago
Circulatory surgery > 3 years ago
Diabetes (type 2)
Heart attack > 3 years ago
Heart surgery > 3 years ago
Hepatitis > 3 years ago
High blood pressure
Pacemaker (installed > 3 years ago)
Sickle cell anemia
Squamous/basal cell skin cancer
Stroke/TIA > 3 years ago
They offer term, whole, universal, and final expense insurance for seniors.
A.M. Best granted them an A (Excellent) rating after their last evaluation.
Their contact information is below:
- Website: www.americanamicable.com
- Phone: 1-800-736-7311
- Mailing address: P.O. Box 2549 Waco, TX 76702
American Amicable earned 4 stars out of 5 for overall performance. Choice Mutual’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula considers consumer experience, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and financial strength ratings.
Learn about our rating methodology.