Research has consistently shown that exercise is vital for older adults to not only feel better physically and lessen the risk of falls and other injuries but also that it helps improve mood and overall outlook on life.
Aerobic activity in conjunction with muscle-building exercises is recommended several times each week. Ideally, aerobic exercise should be performed five days a week, with strength-building exercises recommended at least twice weekly.
Sadly, only a small percentage, around one-third, of the older population follows these recommendations. By taking an active role in improving your health, you can prevent many health-related struggles that often accompany aging.
With COVID-19 having been proven to be most harmful to older adults than any other part of the population, it is more important now than ever before to make sure you are staying as healthy as possible.
Overall health before contracting COVID-19 plays a big role in recovery time and long-term effects from the virus. By increasing overall health, not only will you be able to participate in more activities with your family or friends, but you will also find it a great way to relieve stress and increase the hormones responsible for happiness and peace.
Senior Fitness Resources
- Evidence-Based Program: Active Choices: Take part in a phone-based program to increase activity levels in senior adults.
- Evidence-Based Program: Active Living Every Day: Join a class with a trained instructor to help you plan your activities for health.
- Evidence-Based Program: Healthy Moves for Aging Well: Learn various activities to help reduce the risk of falls, improve flexibility, and ensure a healthy lifestyle in your later years. It is important to plan for elder health and wellness.
- Evidence-Based Program: On the Move: Be a part of a group that works toward increasing strength and motor control.
- Evidence-Based Program: Tai Chi for Arthritis and Fall Prevention: Join peers in a group created to help increase movement and decrease falls.
- Evidence-Based Program: Tai Ji Quan: Moving for Better Balance®: This community program will help reduce falls through improving range of motion and mobility.
- Evidence-Based Program: Walk With Ease: The Walk With Ease program helps seniors learn more about overall health with a focus on walking.
- Fall Prevention In The Elderly And Seniors: This single-limb stance helps improve balance and core strength.
- 30 Minute Senior Exercises at Home: Work on your balance by following this video while seated in a chair.
- 20-minute Indoor Walking Workout for Seniors: This walking video can help guide you to better health.
- Oh, My Aching Back! Easy Low Back Pain Relief With A Chair: Do these seated exercises to help lower back pain.
- Exercise Plan for Seniors: Strength, Stretching, and Balance: Follow this exercise plan created especially for seniors to help with strength, flexibility, and overall balance.
- 5 Tai Chi Moves to Improve Your Mood: These five moves will help increase your mood.
- 5 Yoga poses you can comfortably do sitting in a chair: Take a seat and learn yoga basics in these five simple poses.
- 14 Exercises for Seniors to Improve Strength and Balance: Follow the instructions for simple exercises to get stronger and better balanced.
- 13 Best At-Home Workouts for the Seniors: This workout plan will have you feeling your very best.
- Overall Health Guide for Seniors: This guide will help you learn how to eat healthier, get more physical activity, and gauge your improving fitness level.
- Yoga for Beginners: Build Strength and Improve Balance: Get stronger and lessen the chance of falls through this yoga program.
- Yoga For Renewal: When tired or stressed, this yoga guide can help you unwind and feel happier.
- Senior Stretching Program: Flexibility is an important part of keeping healthy, and this program will increase your flexibility, make you feel better, and help with all day-to-day activities.
- Walk Your Way to Fitness: Use this guide to develop a personalized walking plan.
- 21 Chair Exercises for Seniors: Complete Visual Guide: With easy-to-follow visuals, this set of chair exercises is perfect for anyone wanting to exercise while seated.
- Mindful Stretching Guide: Use mindful stretching to renew your body and mind.
Senior Brain Boosters
- Daily Web Sudoku
- Free Online Sudoku
- Sudoku Games Online
- Fun Number Search Game
- Billions of Free Sudoku Puzzles
- Brain Booster Crossword
- LA Times Daily Crossword
- Crossword Free Online Game
- Daily Crossword
- Free Daily Crossword Puzzles
- Online Crossword Puzzles
- Scrabble Games Online
- Daily Solitaire
- Free online Solitaire
- Solitaire Games for Fun