Choice Mutual's ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account consumer experience, financial strength ratings and complaint data.
AAA burial insurance is a well-priced guaranteed acceptance whole life policy.
However, the drawbacks are too significant to ignore.
For example, all AAA final expense policies have a two-year waiting period.
Learn how their policy works, the pros & cons, see sample prices, and how to get coverage with no waiting period.
Topics Covered In This Article
AAA final expense insurance is a guaranteed issue whole life insurance policy. There are no health questions or exams.
Because approval is guaranteed, all applicants are subject to a 24-month waiting period.
For the first 24 months, they will only refund you 130% of your premiums for non-accidental death.
Like USAA burial insurance, you must live for at least two years for a AAA burial insurance plan to pay the full death benefit.
The only exception to the 24-month waiting period is accidental death. Even during the waiting period, the full death benefit will payout if you die from an accident.
You can apply for their coverage via mail, online, or by calling them.
If you’re an existing AAA member, you will save about $60 per year (except in North Dakota).
|AAA Guaranteed Acceptance Life Insurance Product Details|
|Policy Type||Whole Life Insurance|
|Premiums||Remain the same|
|Builds Cash Value||Yes|
|Higher Rates For Tobacco Usage||No|
|2-Year Waiting Period||Yes|
|What Happens For Death In the First 24 Months||Refund of 130% of Premiums|
|States Available||All Except New York|
|New Applicant Age Range||45-85|
|Coverage Options||$5,000, $10,000, $15,000, $20,000, $25,000|
|Pays Double For Accidental Death||Yes|
- Guaranteed acceptance
- Often is the lowest-priced guaranteed issue coverage compared to other insurance companies
- Accepts new applicants as old as 85
- Available in nearly all states (New York is the only state where it’s unavailable)
- AAA Life Insurance Company has strong financial ratings, including an A (Excellent) rating with A.M. Best
- Double death payout for accidental death
- Highest return of premium refund when non-accidental death occurs in the first 24 months
- Everyone gets a 24-month waiting period (no immediate coverage options)
- Only refunds premiums plus interest if you die from natural causes in the first two years.
- Unless you have dire health issues, you can likely get a plan with no waiting period burial insurance plan elsewhere.
- You can get much lower prices from other companies unless you have very severe health issues
- Coverage options are limited to increments of $5,000 (For example, you cannot buy $12,000 in coverage)
- Will not allow an alternate owner in the application (this is a big issue for anyone receiving Medicaid)
- A high number of complaints and poor customer ratings, according to BBB.
First, it’s helpful to understand that AAA calculates its funeral insurance prices using an age bracket system.
They set one price for anyone who falls into one of their brackets. For example, anyone 45-63 will be the same price.
AAA is unique because most burial insurance for the elderly is not priced this way.
In the table below, you can see the monthly cost of their coverage.
|Age Bracket||Female $10,000||Male $10,000||Female $20,000||Male $20,000|
Whether you should or should not buy their coverage is a subjective decision.
Everyone has unique circumstances, so there is no way to definitively make a judgment call that equally applies to all individuals.
The list below is a reasonably safe breakdown of when AAA’s burial coverage is an excellent option to pursue.
If you don’t identify with any of the following circumstances, you very likely should not buy their coverage.
Instead, you should seek out a plan where you do complete a health questionnaire in the application.
That will lead to a lower monthly cost and a policy covering you immediately versus waiting two years to be insured.
- A 24-month waiting period doesn’t bother you, and you would prefer not to answer health questions even if it means a more expensive price tag.
- Cancer or treatment for cancer in the last 12 months
- HIV or AIDS
- Recommended to have a transplant
- Used illegal drugs (except marijuana) within the last 12 months
- Treated for alcohol or drug about in the last 12 months
- Terminal illness
- Wheelchair usage due to an illness (if it’s due to an injury, that is ok)
- Hospitalized or in a rehab facility
- Oxygen to assist with breathing
- Nursing home confinement
- Heart attack or stroke within the last 12 months
- Heart or circulatory surgery within the last 12 months
Unsure about your situation? Call us at 1-800-644-2926, and one of our friendly agents will advise you about which burial insurance company is your best choice.
First, any final expense insurance plan from any company that does not require you to answer health or lifestyle questions will always subject you to a 24-36 month waiting period.
There are no exceptions to that rule.
Getting a life insurance policy that provides coverage immediately is quite simple.
To get a no waiting period policy, you must apply for a plan where you do answer health questions, and the company subsequently approves you.
A medical exam is not required, but you will have to complete a health questionnaire.
Here is another thing to keep in mind.
Many insurance companies offer no waiting period coverage.
All of them only sell their no waiting period coverage through licensed agencies. They do not sell it directly.
If you call them directly, they will merely tell you to find an agency licensed to sell their products.
But here is the good news.
Choice Mutual is a nationally licensed independent insurance agency. We represent over 15 different final expense insurance companies.
If you want a plan with immediate coverage, we can help. We can even secure final expense insurance for seniors over 80.
Call us, and we’ll figure out very quickly which companies, if any, will approve you for an immediate benefit plan.
We’ll answer all your questions, recommend the best option, and hold your hand through the entire application process.
Feel free to browse the hundreds of positive 5-star reviews online. You can call us at 1-800-644-2926.
It’s common to associate AAA with their flagship roadside service. That’s genuinely what they are most known for. However, they started offering life insurance in 1969.
According to the AAA life website, as of August 2021, they have an A rating with A.M. Best.
Typically, they market this product online and through direct mail. However, AAA final expense whole life insurance is also sold by some insurance agencies.
For example, Ethos final expense insurance is one such agency that sells AAA’s guaranteed issue coverage.
Below is all their contact info:
- Headquarters: 17900 N Laurel Park Dr, Livonia, MI 48152
- Customer service phone: 800-684-4222
- Website: https://www.aaalife.com
AAA earned 2 stars out of 5 for overall performance. Choice Mutual’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula considers consumer experience, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and financial strength ratings.
Learn about our rating methodology.